Re: [Roadsters] Electric Fuel Pump

To: "'Datsun'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Electric Fuel Pump
From: "Walter.Peterson" <Walter.Peterson@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 00:59:11 -0700
Look up Facet pump # 480534
http://www.facet-purolator.com/cat_part_finder.php

************************

PART_NUM_ID     TYPE                            VOLTS   PSI Max_Min     GPH
FIT_TIN_SIZE    LIFT_MIN_DRY    Check Valve     Positive shut off valve
Internal Fuel Filter
480-534E        Gold-Flo Fuel Pumps     12      8.0-6.0               45
1/4 - 18 INT    24"                         No
N0            400U
************************

I believe I got this from Nissan Comp, o-so many years ago. It was
prescribed for the Z-car. It's got a built in cleanable filter too and I
just checked mine last week and there was almost nothing in it after 15
years!
I use a dial adjustable regulator directly before I attached the original
glass bowl stock fuel filter in the engine compartment. It all Flows plenty
fine for the pair of early 44mm Solexes.
Connected it to the Ignition coil +12VDC input. Funny this topic should come
up because I was just getting around to adding a slave relay, #10 power wire
& low oil pressure kill switch for protection.
It's mounted on a pair of rubber isolators under the car on right side shelf
(Over the axle & inline with the shock cross brace.) I had to add a return
ground line to the chassis due to the rubber isos.
Using the stock fuel line to the front which is fine but will get a bump up
in size someday.

I just read that some fuel delivery problems can be traced to low voltages
to the fuel pump. The system might be ok at low RPM's but could cause wacky
& hard to diagnose problems at high RPM's. Low and behold, my car just
recently started to exhibit this issue. This afternoon, I confirmed it has a
greater voltage drop than I want, so the wiring upgrade is going to happen
this weekend. (After 20 years of electric pumps on a wimpy power wire) BTW,
the first electric pump for this car was also a Facet, but one of those
little "Cube" types that could not keep up with my heavy foot.

Lastly, there were/are other corroded wiring issues causing most of my
problems. The notorious 3 prong Molex connector (chassis power from starter)
found under the steering shaft & the spade connector at the ignition switch
were the two main culprits. The first one I needs parts for, the second one
I replaced easy enough. But the Voltage under load was still too low at the
pump, so it's getting the high amperage relay & cable as soon as I can pick
it up.

TMI I know, but it's my notebook entry too.
Good luck with whatever you choose,

Walt Peterson
Carpinteria CA
20R Street Racer