Re: [Roadsters] Slightly OT--car won't start

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Slightly OT--car won't start
From: Pete Koernig <tpb73@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:06:28 -0800 (PST)
Don't trust the battery. Take out and haul to O'Reilly/Autozone, etc --- will
check for free.
Try jump start from battey on running car/truck
Be carefull
about starter fluid if Tempo is fuel injected --- could do harm (speculation)
Pete Koernig (waaay tooo much experience with kid's cars).
datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>Sent:
Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:48 AM
>Subject: [Roadsters] Slightly OT--car
won't start

>Sorry for the OT here but I cannot afford to have this car
towed to the
>mechanic for diagnosis. I hope to deal with this one
myself.....

>92 Ford Tempo, less than 65K miles--legitimate miles as it only
had 51K
>on it when we got it and had the original plug wires dated 1992 when
we
>got the car. It was a true little old lady car. It has run decent since
>being given to us by my wife's dad for my daughters's use several years
>ago. Car has not really been driven much since my youngest went to
>college
this past fall.

>Battery is fully charged right now with battery tender use
and fuel
>stable put in tank a couple months ago. I tried to start the car
>yesterday (approx 35 degrees at the time) and it was acting like the
>battery was down on charge: barely turning over. I hooked up my battery
>charger, put it on the "start" setting and tried again. I basically got
>the
same result with only slightly faster turn over speed. The starter
>has
always sounded good and the car has always started since we got it.

>We have
had very little cold weather so far this season with temp in the
>30s and 40s
during the day and only a couple nights below 20 degrees.

>I am going to get
some starting fluid in hopes it might be enough to
>kick it going with the
slow starter speed but am not hopeful.