Re: [Roadsters] Chrome Questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "hallosb@juno.com"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Chrome Questions
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 4:16:03 -0800
The gas cap is actually not too bad to dis-assmeble. I do not know where I have
the instructions, but Gary Tew is the one who forwarded them to me. Gary?

Tim

---- "hallosb@juno.com" <hallosb@juno.com> wrote:

=============
I thought I would ask the experts for tips on re-chroming parts on a '66 1600
before I meet with the chrome dude. The parts listed below may be troublesome.
You may know of others.
1. Windshield frame. I finally completed the tedious process of removing the
frame. Even though the car has been garaged since 1980, every screw was
rusted. I got them all out without breaking the glass but, I did snap the head
off one of the screws for the center support. That should be fun drilling it
out. My problem are the rivets that hold the sheet metal pieces to the left
and right sides of the frame. Should I drill out the rivets and have the
pieces chromed separately? The rivet heads look special. They appear to be
counter sink heads. Where will I find replacement rivets?
2. Vent window frames. I removed most of the parts but, the upper pivot pin is
riveted to the frame and there are wear pads clipped onto the frame where the
latch contacts the frame. Can these two pieces be removed before I have the
frame chromed?
3. Door window cranks. The plastic knobs are riveted. Can they be removed to
rechrome the handles? How will I re-attach them?
4. Center console. The piece that surrounds the lock is shiny chrome on the
edges and dull chrome in the center. Can this be re-chromed? The piece that
surrounds the gear shift is shiny chrome on the edges and wrinkle gray paint
in the center. If I try to re-chrome it, is it possible to re-create the
wrinkle finish to match the dash? My dash looks good so, I wasn't going to
re-paint the gray. Maybe clear coat it if, anything.
5. Fog lights. If you disassemble the glass from the inner base, you expose
the bulb. The chrome reflective material inside the base is peeling off.
Should I spray it with reflective paint or re-chrome it?
6. Mirrors. Both the fender mounted and the dash mounted mirrors have dark
glass. Is it worth the trouble to replace the mirror glass. They also both
appear to be difficult to disassemble for chroming.
7. Gas cap. This looks like a can of worms. I have no idea how you would get
the swivel piece or the lock out of the cap to re-chrome it.
8. Screws. There are a ton of tiny screws with chrome heads. Can you buy
replacements? I would think it would be way too tedious for someone to
re-chrome the heads of the screws.
Thanks,
Dan McHatton
'66 1600
Small Business Tools
Click to find the latest solutions to enhance your small business.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=GGPaWqKMtcwK1AWxrI_UlQAAJz3b-7K
uMPJffYsq3MtsBROGAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=
Suggested annual donation $16.00

You are subscribed as tputland@charter.net

Datsun-roadsters mailing list

http://www.team.net/archive