Re: [Roadsters] Broken alt bolts

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Broken alt bolts
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS)" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:42:36 -0500
Steve,
I am a little disoriented by your description, and for some reason
(maybe my own system) your measurements got turned into characters.
<<  The lower position spacer is = long and upper is 2-1/2  long.  >>

Lower bracket = heavy casting bolted to block
Upperbracket is the triangular steel plate that bolts to the timing
cover (uh-oh, Steve might have a 1600)

The alignment looks correct, but are you getting much movement when the
engine revs?

Even with grade 8s, if the bolt is loaded in bending, and being cycled
with the engine revs, that bolt section is going to get hot from all the
working, and any imperfection is going to grow, and it'll break.

Can you post a picture of your set-up, or point to a similar pic (maybe
one of the ones on 311s.org)

Fergus O, 69 2000
Los Alamitos, CA