[Roadsters] 68-70 R16 Water Pump Blues

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] 68-70 R16 Water Pump Blues
From: Eric Gillis <mkiisupra@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:40:51 +0000
 Listers-

I have a quandry about the above mentioned part.  I have located and
accidentally purchased a water pump for my R16 rebuild.  I quickly learned
that it was the incorrect pump (wrong hub, correct casting, maybe for early
1600's or H20?) for the later motor.  That was last summer, early in the
rebuild...

Fast-forward to the past two weeks.  I haven't been able to locate a rebuilder
who didn't either say the rebuild kits were unavailable or look at me like I
was from Mars (napa) when I asked about a return and rebuild program (although
the national napa site says they all do it).

I have two late R16 pumps in need of a rebuild.  The replacement is $290-310,
yikes!!  I was prepared to pay this (and may still need to) but the ghost of
my depression-era grandpa dope-slapped me and suggested that I rebuild or
investigate a cheaper alternative, and here I am.

Any suggestions of successful R16 water pump rebuilders or replacements?  All
those who fell on to the floor laughing at the last question can get back into
their seats.

I am also open to any water pump/pulley/fan 'cocktails' using the other
pulleys, fans, etc?

The 'new' pump has a larger bolt pattern on the hub and only one 'step' to the
center shaft, where the 'correct' pump has several 'steps' and the threaded
center shaft where the old fan clutch used to go. FYI

Thanks in advance, and does anyone carry bolt packs for engine bolts and
screws??

Eric G