[Roadsters] 5th Gear noise

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] 5th Gear noise
From: Bill Cole <datrock@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:31:24 -0800
Hi everyone, I'm curious to hear if anyone that has experience the
Neutral 5th Gear had any howling noise after it happened. This past
weekend I just pulled the engine/transmisison from a 70 srl that came
from an estate, after some steering and brake work it drives great, but
when 5th gear is engaged I experience a howling noise and the car seamed
to have a loss of power. The car still excellerates in 5th but things do
not feel or sound right and reverse still works too. At crusing speed I
can shift from 4th to 5th then back to 4th and the noise changes with
the shifting.
   So now I have the tail housing off the transmission and it has the
double nut and the gears in the tail look fine, so now it is time to
break loose the nuts and see if the 5th gear has splines or not, I'm
saying not!
   I've rebuilt a few 5 speeds so I'm familiar with the insides of them,
I've just never experience the howling in 5th gear before... thanks Bill
Cole