[Roadsters] H20 Redux

To: roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] H20 Redux
From: steven boortz <vociferouschicanery@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
hi everyone
this is the part where i tell you what an idiot i was, again.  hindsight being
what it is, this is what i learned about my "overheating" fiasco.
the bottom line is that it was not overheating at all.  in fact, it wasn't even
getting hot.  i should have thought that the fact it (the guage) made it made
it to 240 so quickly was fishy.  too, i should have understood the significance
of the nearly simultaneous "peaking" of the gas guage.  the thing is, the gas
guage moved so quickly to that position.  the temp guage took almost a minute.
but it is that they were both doing it, that should have alerted me.
i bought an infra red temp sensor, and started the engine.  the temp guage rose
to 240 in about a minute, and the front of the head, next to where the temp
sensor mounts was reading 115.  that was the first time i actually let the temp
guage keep going without turning off the engine.  that's when i noticed they
were both pegged.
it seems that when the gas and temp guages aren't functioning properly, either
they both go all the way "off" (the exteme left) or all the way "on" (the
extreme right).  that they were the same was the clue i missed.  i thought my
car was about to overheat.
i removed that little electrical thingie, cleaned all the contacts, including
where it mounts, and re-installed.  voila.  guages that work.
i drove the car for the first time today, in about 6 months.  i blasted up the
110, and back down.  woohoo!
it runs great, and never got above 190.

thank you all for your help in trying to diagnose my non existent over heating.

steve
675MIZU