Re: [Roadsters] front suspension and brake bolts

To: <9laser3@bright.net>, <eddietude@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] front suspension and brake bolts
From: Pat Mahoney <dynaguy54@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:07:13 -0700
I've been an industrial fastener sales rep for 30+ years.  In 1995 the Federal
Government created the Fastener Quality Act because of the problem of
counterfeit graded fasteners in the marketplace.  This is Public Law#101-592.
In it states that graded fasteners placed in 'critical' applications will have
certification that they meet chemical and physical specifications and be lot
traceable to the foundry.  You have the right to ask for lot #'s and
certification when you purchase graded fasteners. If your supplier cannot or
will not provide these, I would be very concerned about the quality.  One
other way to protect yourself is to ask for the country of origin.  This is
required for all products for sale in the U.S.  If indeed the fasteners are of
U.S. manufacture, you have a good chance they are legit.  American made, or
made in North America are not necessarily U.S. made.  There are Canadian
manufactures that have made a list of suspect quality fasteners.

I have recently as last year attended a seminar put on by the leaders of the
U.S. fastener industry regarding this problem.  The markings for grades are
U.S. specs.  Foreign countries do not have controls set in place to make sure
that their manufactures are producing fasteners that meet the specs that the
head marking suggests.  The problem of counterfeit graded fasteners is still
rampant.  Buyer Beware!

Sorry for the soapbox, but it really ticks me off that there is so much
dangerous junk in our marketplace.

Pat Mahoney