[Roadsters] OT - 1987 BMW 325

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] OT - 1987 BMW 325
From: Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:05:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hey All!  I have on off topic question for everyone.

I just bought a super cheap '87 BMW 325 for a second family car and have a
question about an annoying stutter.

On acceleration I have strong pull for about 3 seconds and then there is a
pause/stutter -- almost feeling like someone is pressing the brakes for a
split second, but coming from the engine -- then about 3 more seconds of pull
and then a pause etc etc etc. After the stutter there is even an ever so
slight surge of power. The stutter doesn't change at all as I accelerate. The
interval from power to pause always stays the same regardless of engine speed,
which seems odd. It also does it while driving at speed but not nearly as
pronounced, and I don't notice anything steady and pronounced at all while at
idle.

I have already replaced the plugs and wires.

Coil?  Rotor and cap?  Fuel delivery?  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance,
everyone.

Matthew in Phoenix