Re: [Roadsters] Coil/Ballist resistor

To: pscowboy9@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Coil/Ballist resistor
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:39:50 EST
The resistor should not glow while you are starting the car. The way it's
wired the resistor should be bypassed while the car is being cranked. The
resistor is between the battery and coil while the engine is running to lower
the
primary current. When you are starting the battery voltage drops so they
bypass the resister to get the proper voltage to the coil for a good hot spark.

My 66 does not have this bypass function. When the battery got weak  it would
get hard to start. Sometimes it would turn over but not fire.  As you released
the key it will light off. What is happening is the voltage is  too low to
make good sparks while the starter is running. As soon as the starter  turns
off
the engine is still turning over and the battery voltage jumps back up
creating a good spark. What I did was add a relay to bypass the resistor when
starting. It helped a lot.

If your resistor is ever glowing there is a wiring problem.

keith

In a message dated 3/4/2009 6:58:31 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,