Re: [Roadsters] clicking noise with clutch

To: "'Hoon Kim'" <hoon@pixar.com>, "'Roadster mailist'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] clicking noise with clutch
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:36:41 -0500
Well, you probably drove home by now.  If it happens only when the clutch is
pushed down, regardless if the car is moving or not, it sounds like a finger
on the clutch or the bearing  Throw out bearing is only under load with the
clutch depressed, so a few shifts shouldn't be too bad.  Just keep the RPM
down until you see what's up.  Only way to get a look would be through the
clutch fork rubber boot, not an easy angle without a bore scope.

If it is happening while the car is moving, clutch engaged or disengaged, it
would seem to be in the trans or rear axle.  I would roll the car in
neutral, clutch released, engine on and off, and see if it changes.

Then try it sitting still, in neutral, engine running, move the clutch in
and out, listen for noise.  If there is noise, it isolates it to what is
moving now, engine, clutch assy input shaft, countershaft etc.  It seems to
be one of those things where you need to play with the variables and picture
the system in your mind and narrow the possibilities. []?[]?  Two beer job
at least. And of course, check for the obvious silly embarassing stuff, like
something caught in the fan or a plastic bag wrapped around the driveshaft,
the jumper cables dragging under the car....  :)

Please post what you find.

Dave
ECR