[Roadsters] Wiper results: Success!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Wiper results: Success!
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 07:39:29 -0600
Well, some very good advice all around.
In an attempt to isolate the mechanical/electrical systems, I removed
both seats and the steering wheel (50% of every project is "access"),
and found thet years ago when I removed the headlite switch for
cleaning, (by reaching around) I must have shoved the dash wiring
harness upward, so that it "caught the wiper arm.   also it looked like
the PO should have routed the wiring harness UNDER the idle adjust
cable, not OVER.
So, once I wire-tied it down solid, I tried for 30-60 minutes to pull
the snap ring on the wiper driver arm.  I have snap ring pliers, but
this ring has no holes in it, and no undercut on the backside to wedge a
screwdriver tip in.
At that point I stopped and started on the electrical checkout, and
realized that during my tailite/blinker/fusebox fiasco, I had been
driving at nite and had the fuse blow and had run out of fuses, so stole
one from the next available 10A location, the WIPERS!
Replaced it and they now work.  Low speed and hi-speed are the same
speed, with the motor just singing about 4 notes higher.  I lubed the
pivots with Dry Lube, and they are free (and my armpits smell like CRC
336!).

Thanks for the replies and helpful suggestions from all.

Most curious thing.  My PO left this car out in the rain in Pasadena
regularly, (it was the "shop truck" at a Z restorer) so portions of the
underdash have some surface, and various parts taken off (center
console) have been much worse.  But, the wiper motor and linkage look
like they were cad-plated within the last month.  Most peculiar mama!

Seats re-webbed, wipers operational, Iron Bottom readiness achievable.
(with the new category details at Solvang, I thought I was going to have
to enter the SuperModified category, once everyone heard my wipers
didn't work I was technically "not street legal" !)

Thanks again,  Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA