Re: [Roadsters] windows, vent windows, and furry stuff

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] windows, vent windows, and furry stuff
From: peter harrison <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:53:33 -0800
A response from a 1970 owner - others may chime in (sure they will) - if you
are referring to the screw that is in the slide/bit that the window rests on,
there should be a plastic bit that is formed to receive the roller and it is
meant as a limiter for either lower or higher height ( i forget which -
probably higher).

Info - there is also ( at least in 1970 ) a rubber buffer in the bottom of the
door - sort of midway - that probably serves to prevent bottoming out and thus
preventing the gear that drives the window thingie from disengaging from the
actuator arm thingie that supports the window base (thingie).

Make sure the window is glued to the base because the friction from the
squeegee and the furry stuff can cause it to separate on the winding down
action.

Since you are there :

1. make sure that the rear window channel is strengthened (especially on the
driver side). I used JB-WELD to put a 1/4 inch square on the inside of the
brackets that support the channel - they are not inherently strong and prone
to break and a needless pain to replace.

2. Make sure that all parts are well lubed - slides, gear teeth - actuator
arm, spring, and internal gearing of the winder thingie.

3. Around the mechanism that actually lifts the window, there is a piece that
projects that I assume is meant to keep the actuactor arm in place - ensure
that it is in close proximity - since it stops sideways movement - i.e. moving
away from the gear in the actual winder mechanism.

I hope the use of the technical term 'thingie' doesn't confuse you  :)

Peter

818 448 3181