Engine Temp Probe & Gas Guage Querie - 68 2000

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Temp Probe & Gas Guage Querie - 68 2000
From: roadster68 <roadster68@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:16:46 -0600
Hello Everyone,  Finally drove my roadster home from the upholstery guy.  It
was painted just prior to that.  I am ready to drive it.

When first starting my roadster the temperature probe moves all the way to
the hot side and the gas moves slowly to the fuller side.  I think the gas
tank is nearly full but is has settled closer to half full.  I know from
wiring diagrams that these two gauges are on the same circuit but that is
about all.  The temperature probe is new and the thermostat cover has a new
gasket with the wire insert.  I checked the gas sending unit a few years
back and it would cause a resistance meter to sweep consistently.  What is
the most likely problem?

Also, the new engine has a rebuilt head and yes it had been shaved in the
past.  Mechanic insures me that it is still within tolerances.  The timing
seems to be pretty good but engine is idling too high (~2000 rpm).  I cannot
set the idle screw any lower.  I have a new set of points, all new spark
plugs, new spark plug wire set and an MSD coil.  The motor only has about
275 miles it.  Help!!!  Larry.