RE: Miata Seats

To: "peter harrison" <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Miata Seats
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:51:29 -0800
Peter,

I have Miata seats in Mr. Hyde and love them.  If you have a stock steering
wheel you will loose a little space between the top of your legs and the
bottom of the wheel.  This makes a significant difference in how you get
into the car and it took me a while to learn how to get in without tangling
my feet up in the pedals.

You have to remove a couple of locating pins from bottom of the Miata seat
tracks and straighten the runners out so they are flat.  Easy to do, and not
a real problem.  Then you need to measure things carefully to locate the new
seat holes and drill the new mounting holes in the floorboard.  The holes
are not symmetrical, so you have to take your time here.

Use 1/2 or 5/8 inch mounting bolts (I can't remember which) with large
fender washers and locking nuts on the under-side of the body and you will
have very securely mounted seats.

If you have a roll bar that mounts to the factory mounting points these
seats will not fit because they will be above the mounting points.  I am
about to build new mounting feet for the shelf mounted roll bar that came
from my parts car.  The feet will meet the factory mounting points, but they
will be made from scraps (3/8" or 1/2") of heavy steel from the
architectural beam fabrication shop just down the street from my house.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com