RE: Powder coating and plating tips.

To: "'Joe Kinstle'" <joek@camberconstruction.com>,
Subject: RE: Powder coating and plating tips.
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:57:48 +0930
"Also, you have to be careful with threads, I had to chase most of mine.

Joe Kinstle
'68 2L
BLK SRL"

Hi list,
I found that plugging any internal threads with a close fitting wooden
plug/dowel and taping off external stuff was enough to protect the articles
from getting too much coating.
The tape prevents the powder from attaching to the metal and who care if it
burns off during curing!
Once the operator saw what I had covered he adjusted his method to avoid
those areas.
Similarly when getting parts plated, a rubber plug, plastic tape or even
masking tape can be enough to protect bits from a purely chemical process.
My plater will always check my job and often says, "that paint will prevent
the plating", so I'm guessing that a coat of primer is enough to protect
what you don't what plated.
But as Joe says, the best insurance is to chase all threads to be 100% sure
they are squeaky clean.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310