Re: front pad retraction after caliper rebuild

To: H Bahn <jh.bahn@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: front pad retraction after caliper rebuild
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 09:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
> I replaced my front disc pistons, pipes, etc. on my roadster. When bleeding
> the brakes, I notice that once the brake pedal is released, the pads are
> still in contact with the rotors - to the extent that the resistance is
> noticeable, e.g., the tire/wheel will not turn freely.

First, make sure everything is clean and free-moving, no dragging of
the pistom on the caliper assembly, etc etc. Also, is the drag constant
thoughout a turn of the rotor? If it hangs up only on some spots, then
the rotor is warped.

Assuming the mechanics all check out, then:
Internally, there's a metal post in the center of the piston housing,
this post is grabbed by a spring-loaded mechamism in the center of the
piston itself. This combination is what provides the pullback.

Assuming that you still have the metal post (yes, I've seen some with
the post missing - presumably the mechanism was jammed and ripped out
when the piston was extricated?), I'm guessing that the spring mechanism
in the piston itself is crudded up or broken.

-- John
      John F Sandhoff   sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA