Re: OT: brad/finishing nailer recommendations

To: Pete Peters <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: OT: brad/finishing nailer recommendations
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:18:17 -0500
Pete,

First of all, neither of these nailers are "finish" nailers, but "brad"
nailers. They are mainly used to secure very light trim material.
Depending on what you need to secure, they may be fine. I use my brad
nailer to install small trim, cabinet backs and things like that.

For door and window trim I use my trim nailer (Senco SFN40). One of  the
problems you may have using either of these guns, especially in tight
places is that the gun must be set flat to the work you are nailing.
Most trim guns have the nail cassette set at about 30 degrees to the
work surface so you have more wiggle room when needed.

All 3 of my guns, framing, trim and brad are Senco. They have given me
long, reliable life. I've been using my guns for over 6 years and have
had to overhaul the framing gun only once. (In that time I have used the
guns to build 7 houses.) Some of my friends use Porter-Cable, but I
don't think they use theirs as much as I do, and I don't know how well
they have held up.

If a brad nailer will do what you need, go for it. I would go for the
Senco, but that is just personal preference. If/when I need parts I have
a Senco repair station much closer than the P-C repair shop.

Stop by Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever store you have close by and see
how the guns feel to you. See how to clear jams and load nails. The
depth adjust on guns can sometimes be a bear to set. See what you need
in the way of tools to make adjustments, then make your own decision.

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --