Re: Hot fuses (was '69 fuse/blinker woes)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot fuses (was '69 fuse/blinker woes)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:31:52 -0700
> ...The headlight fuse got hot when the lights were on but wouldn't
> blow the fuse - I only noticed because the cover of the fuse box
> was melted...

The fuse boxes are notorious for building up corrosion. There should
be virtually no heat generated at the fuse box itself, as the heat
is a result of resistance. I've not heard of a good solution, and my
theory is a buildup of corrosion between the rivets and the metal
clips themselves. I've had overheated fuses and melted plastic on
both the 6-fuse '68 and 8-fuse '69 boxes, and in each case resorted
to wiring in a separate headlight fuse/circuit.

Having the dimmer on 'full' would result in increased current flow and
therefore more heat at a bad fusebox connection. But I'm pretty
confident turning the dimmer down simply reduced the symptom
but didn't address the root problem: a 40 year old tired fuse box :-(

-- John