BTW I gave up on the Toyota Truck calipers & 300ZX rotors, and

To: "'Datsun Roadster List'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: BTW I gave up on the Toyota Truck calipers & 300ZX rotors, and
From: <walter.peterson@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:37:25 -0700
The rotors were close, but not a direct bolt-on as I was told.  Some minor
modifications to the rotors and a locating offset spacer would be needed for
them.  My real issue with this combination was that the Truck calipers
weighed in at 13 pounds loaded!  The 300ZX rotors weighed 13.5 pounds too!
I just couldn't bear the idea of bolting on 26 pounds a side to stop the
car!  So after numerous phone calls and calculations, I've ordered a pair of
Wilwood calipers and a pair of Coleman racing slotted 11" directional vane
rotors.  These will just fit inside my old American Racing slotted 14"
wheels.  You might be able to squeeze a credit card between the wheel and
the caliper.  :)

The calipers & pads cost about the same as the factory front wheel cylinder
replacements.  And if ordered correctly, they could even work on the stock
rotors with a custom caliper mounting plate.  But I figured if I was going
to go that far, I would opt for better rotors too. Cheap insurance really.
Stock rotors weigh ~ 11.5 pounds and my new rotors will be around 8 pounds +
the aluminum top hat I'll have to make, so the rotor weights will be about
the same.  The caliper spec sheet says they weight 2.5 pounds + pad weight.
I don't know what the stock stuff I took off weighs, but I'm sure these will
weigh less.  It will be a couple of weeks before this is finished.  I'll
post some pics when I'm done.  If interested, contact me off list for any
specific details.

Oh yeah!  Almost forgot to say it.  I had a great time visiting some of my
new list friends up at the Solvang meet.  I even caught up with a former
autocross class competitor too!  Great times, good people & good enough
weather as I predicted.  Shout out to Alvin, Kevin, Bart, Bob, Gerardo, Stan
and everyone else too.  And a special thank you to "Pat" Patterson.  Next
year my car will make it too.

Walt Peterson
Goleta Ca
67 SPL R16 3main 2L w/Solexes