Re: Alternate Clutch Master

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Alternate Clutch Master
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:16:29 -0800
> ...I can't seem to stop clashing the gears even though the... fork is
> just barely touching the throw our bearing when the peddle is up.

If the fork is riding on the bearing at all you're risking cooking the
throwout bearing.

Same is true if you don't have the return springs in place (both on
the pedal and on the slave cylinder).

> My best it so just replace the clutch master with a master that has a
> slightly larger bore so that every inch of peddle travel will get me
> more movement on the clutch.

IMHO, the best bet is to figure out what's wrong. When everything
is proper, everything will work. If something doesn't work right then
something is wrong. Swapping to non-standard parts just hides
the problem, it doesn't fix it.

That said, what's changed that has led up to this problem? Did you
redo the clutch recently? Lots of miles on the car? Overrev in the
near past? _Something_ has happened that has led to this condition.

My gut instinct is that your pressure plate has failed and isn't fully
releasing. I had a near-new (2-3 months daily non-performance driving)
pressure plate that had one finger 'stick' and kept the disk from fully
disengaging. When I finally pulled the drive train and separated the
tranny, I found one finger out of alignment. Yes, I replaced that unit!

-- John