RE: L series engines

To: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: L series engines
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:02:52 -0800
Not trying to start a flame war here, and I admit the L-series is a good
design, but...

Given equal build specs, an L-18 will not make more power than a U-20. The
big difference is in the head and valves. The stock U-20 valves are actually
larger than the valves in the infamous FIA heads for the L-series engines.
Even if you put a U-67 head off an L20B on an L-18, it won't flow like a
U-20 head.

                        Intake  Exhaust
                        ------- -------
L18 SSS head    42mm            35mm    (same as L20B U-67)
Early FIA               45mm            35mm
Late FIA                44mm            36mm
U-20                    46mm            36mm

The guy that does my head work told me the U-20 was the best-flowing
non-crossflow head he had ever seen. In fact, he had a Jensen-Healey
twin-cam head in his shop at the time, and the U-20 was just slightly below
it in flow rate all through the range.

Everything else in a race motor can be equalized, and the cost equalizes
along with it. You don't run stock pistons and rods in a race motor. So
custom pistons cost the same regardless of whether they are L-series or
U-20. Same with Carillo or Pauter rods. And machine work is machine work.
The main cost difference is in the timing chains, gears and tensioners. But
if you're building a $10-15K race motor, that's minor.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA