RE: Octane booster opinions request: as near as your gas pump!

To: mhknorr@msn.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Octane booster opinions request: as near as your gas pump!
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:17:13 -0400
Mike,
Since you say you run regular gas, a cost effective Octane Booster for you
is as
near as your gas pump!  Just fill up with premium 91 or 93 Octane, and all
your
pinging will go away.  This will be a lot cheaper and easier than buying
Octane Booster.
As long as you only ping once in a while, as you said, you will probably be
OK, but I would
run premium as a matter of course so as to prolong engine life by not
pinging at all.

In my experience with the high compression 2L stroker in my 67, its best
that I find
93 Octane, and until recently Sunoco had 94 octane, and that is the juice to
use.

I have experimented with adding multiple cans of various kinds of booster,
because there
is more power to be had by adding spark advance with this engine, and it
makes a little
bit of difference but not enough to justify the cost.

My plan for ultimate performance is to go buy a 5 gallon can of race gas and
cut the premiume with
a few gallons of race gas, which I think is 97 or so Octane....but like a
LOT of my plans, I never quite get around to doing it!

Best regards,
Jim

Cheasapeake, Virginia