Front Suspension Questions - Spindles and Ball Joints

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Suspension Questions - Spindles and Ball Joints
From: "David Sexton" <dave@loanadvantage.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:34:54 -0700
I've taken apart my right front suspension to see how bad things really are
on this old beast. Over the weekend I cleaned and inspected the lower
control arms and spindle. Looks like new bushings are in order, if I can
find them, and I might have to have one of the spindle ends re-machined (the
grease fitting broke off and the PO never fixed it). Two questions;

1)    In order to put a nice coat of black part on the parts, I've taken a
wire wheel to clean up them as much I could.   Problem is, I can't get the
wheel into the crevices. I've scrapped and rinsed them in solvent as much as
I could. Does anyone know of a different way to make sure the surface is
prepped clean enough for painting? I though about using something like POR
metal prep but I'm not sure it's clean enough for that.

2)    A preliminary check of my ball joints shows that one feels tight and
moves fairly freely with little effort. The other is considerably tighter
and harder to move. This may be because I haven't cleaned and lubed them up.
How should good ball joints feel and do I have to take them apart (other
than removing the boots) to inspect them?

These may be stupid questions, but everyone's help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Sexton
Sparks, NV
'70 1600 Coming Back To Life