Re: voltage regulator

To: girault@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: voltage regulator
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:57:06 -0500
Girault,

You are correct that the bi-metal strip has two modes, open (zero volts)
and closed (12 volts) the ratio of on to off time averages the voltage
to about the same average voltage as a constant 6 volts. The instruments
also have bi-metal elements in them which respond to the heating and not
heating of the current through them. The on off cycling is in the
neighborhood of 2 per second. There is enough thermal load in the
instruments to not rise and fall significantly at this rate. If you turn
the key on with a full fuel tank, watch the fuel gauge closely. You will
see the needle move up a bit, then stop, then move some more, and repeat
this until it reaches its final value. This is caused by the pulsing
voltage heating up the bi-metal strip some, then shutting off and
repeating.  This type of instrument is very rugged in comparison to a
moving coil instrument that requires almost frictionless bearings
supporting the needle.

As John Sandhoff correctly pointed out in his reply, using a bi-metal
strip has the additional feature of adjusting the on/off ratio depending
on ambient temperature. All in all this is a quite inexpensive, rugged
and elegant method of driving instrument in a vehicle!

Peace,
Pat

girault@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Thanks to Tom, John, Gordon, Jones, Dan, and Bob for their responses to my
>electrical question.  You know, I really enjoy the list every day.  When I
>don't have time to work on the car, at least I can talk to somebody about it.
>But my curiousity is aroused over this devilish little voltage regulator.  It
>has a bi-metallic spring with a contact inside.  It's either open or closed.
>How can it regulate the current  to the water temp and gas gauges in a
>constant manner?  It seems like it would have two modes - either open or
>closed.  Wouldn't that make the gauges jump when it activated?
>Thanks, Girault Jones

-
Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT