Re: Later megaphone-style exhaust tips

To: Andrew Conner <awconner@austin.rr.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Later megaphone-style exhaust tips
From: "Mike H." <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:15:55 -0400 (EDT)
I meant to share this sometime back when there was a megaphone tip thread
going. I save all my project receipts, the roadster is no exception. In 1981,
my megaphone tipped resonator was $24, the muffler $19, and the overaxle pipe
$15. The rubber insulators that attach to the pretzel straps were .80 each. I
sometimes think I'm not so bad off taking 25 years to restore my '67-1600. Most
of the new parts were bought before 1983, then the dealerships started drying
up. I was able to get my engine and tranny COMPLETELY rebuilt  (including
clutch assembly) for under $600! I did the engine myself and the tranny was
done by a friend of mine. The rest of the time I've been basically collecting
new parts and slowly putting it back together kind of "kit" style. Example, I
bought the masters, slaves and calipers in 1985. Just put them on a month ago.
They sure cost a lot more now! If I had completed this project in a more
"normal", timely manner, I think I would be having to do nearly everything over
again anyway at a lot greater expense!
Mike Hudson  '67-1600