Just Bought a Car

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Just Bought a Car
From: <mjsutter@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 19:04:45 -0700
Listers,

After searching for a suitable car for some months, I finally purchased a
2000. After numerous phone conversations and picture exchanges with the
seller, I decided to purchase a car that was for sale in Seattle. I flew up
there Friday morning, test drove the car, closed the deal, and was on the road
by noon headed south for San Diego CA. 1200 miles in a day and a half. The car
ran great with no problems, but I think that the car should have a little
better acceleration in the rev band above 4000 RPM. The engine is stock with
SU carbs, the only modification is an exhaust header.

Question:

What should the ignition curve look like? How much advance should the
distributor be capable of providing and how fast should the curve be? Whats
the best static setting for idle? At what RPM should the advance be "all in"?
I've seen the technical bulletin from Nissan from the late sixties addressing
the curve. I've also got the manual. How relevant is that information today?

Any info would be helpful.

MS