emissions and ignition timing?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: emissions and ignition timing?
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:59:51 -0700
Any smog gurus out there? Please, no guessing on the following.
I need to know what really happens :-)

What is the effect on unburned hydrocarbon emissions (HC)
if the timing is retarded?

Later (68+) cars were set a 0 degrees, making for poor performance
but cleaner emissions. I had thought this dropped NOx, but some
reading I was doing this weekend implies that retarding the timing will
drop HC.

So what happens at the smog machine if I back off from 16 degrees
to say 4 degrees? Does the tailpipe clean up for the test?

(for the astute: No, CA is not back to testing our cars)

-- John