RE: Chassis Painting - A POR-15 technique, inside and out

To: <slowboy@cox.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chassis Painting - A POR-15 technique, inside and out
From: "Eric A. Isaacson" <eric.isaacson@jbtool.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:26:25 -0500
Hi,

I am sure you are committed to a frame painting procedure as "painting
commences tomorrow", but here is a technique I used for my frame using
POR-15.

Acid dipping my frame was not practical where I live (distance problem),
so I performed an experiment with POR-15 (a product similar to paint
that mechanically seals the surface with a non-porous, tough coating
similar to plastic that bonds to metal, especially rust).  I had to open
up the frame due to some serious frame rust and saw that the inside of
the frame was clean with only some surface rust.  I wanted to seal the
inside of the frame to arrest the progression of the rust.  Since the
product claims self leveling qualities and has a consistency similar to
water, I decided to coat the inside of the frame.  I prepared my frame
with lots of duct tape to seal the holes and used grease coated bolts
for all of the contained threads.  I opened a "pour" hole and poured in
the POR-15.  I used a frame rotisserie to rotate the frame many times to
coat the inside.  Even though the frame was mostly level, within 30
seconds, the POR-15 was leaking out of the frame 7-8 feet away.  I was
very pleased with the results when I removed the duct tape.  On all the
locations I could inspect, I had over 99% coverage that looked "sprayed"
with no visible "runs".

Internally coating the frame with POR-15 on a frame rotisserie:
http://www.classicfairlady.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=378

Following the internal coating procedure, I brushed POR-15 on the
outside of the frame.  Because of the self-leveling qualities, there are
few if any brush marks.

Frame finished in POR-15:
http://www.classicfairlady.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=379

Discovered badly rusted frame (holes!) after the body and horsehair were
removed:
http://www.classicfairlady.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=368

Major section of frame replaced after sealing exposed section with
POR-15 and weld-through sealer:
http://www.classicfairlady.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=369

Good luck!

Eric A. Isaacson