My response to " Answers to Sid"

To: "'Stan Chernoff'" <az589@lafn.org>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: My response to " Answers to Sid"
From: "Tim Waltz" <printner@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 07:43:45 -0600
Stan wrote:

It seems that YOUR partner in making/selling the copies of model ID plates,
after I sold one to you that I had made, whose name is Tim Waltz (printner
on ebay auction numbers 7967381121 & 7972906709) is one of those selling the
copy braces.  It said in his auctions that he got them from a guy who
got them from a guy....   He is the one that said to the list in Dec 2002
that my braces were NLA.  He and the list were informed at the time that his
statement was not correct.  I in-fact sold a brace to him afterwards. Maybe
selling the brace copies satisfies a long time desire?

I normally try to avoid all of this small talk, but since I have been openly
named (not that I'm hiding anywhere), I'd just like to clarify the details.

RESPONSE 1. Yes, I make ID plates.  I got started because when I asked Stan
if he had one for my 67.5 1600, I was told "no." I wasn't told that he'd
have more in the future or anything like that, I was told "no."  So, being a
printer by trade, I had my own made.  One lead to another, because quite
simply, they're easier and cheaper to do in bulk.

RESPONSE 2. Yes, I'm selling some brake braces.  I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH
THE DESIGN OR MANUFACTURE OF THE BRACE, NOR WAS THE BRACE I PURCHASED FROM
STAN USED AS A GUIDE IN THEIR MANUFACTURE. The only time the brake brace I
bought from Stan has left it's little box in my garage is when a friend in
the Denver area thought he might want to try and make his own, then he
decided it would just be easier to buy one from Stan. And yes, I really did
get them from a guy, that got them from a guy...

Stan wrote:

He and the list were informed at the time that his statement was not
correct.  I in-fact sold a brace to him afterwards. Maybe selling the brace
copies satisfies a long time desire?

RESPONSE: Again, I "informed" the list (as a response to someone's inquiry)
that Stan did not have a brake brace for a 67.5 because that's what Stan
told me.  Again, he didn't tell me that he'd have more in the future or
anything like that, I was told "no." After I shared Stan's response to the
list, Stan was quick to correct and say that they would soon be available,
but he was not that clear when I inquired initially.  I'm not sure why
anyone would have a long-time desire to sell copies, but...

Stan wrote:

The identical auction pictures tie the two together.  I avoided giving names
until you asked.  There is more information about the actual source of the
copies that isn't proper to discuss here.

RESPONSE: Actually, there's no true "tie" between Lou and I. I think the
most Lou and I have ever communicated about would be regarding Solvang
t-shirts. The pictures, and most of the verbiage were "borrowed" from my
auction.  I don't really care. It was edited, and Lou even had information
about the grade of steel that I didn't have.  Since I'm not part of the huge
SOCAL roadster community, I don't know the "actual source" as others seem to
here.

I didn't wake up this morning thinking that I was going to have to explain
my position in this roadster "community."  I do, however, occassionally buy
and trade stuff from roadster people (all over the world) in an effort to
make a little money for my restoration.  I'm not embarrassed about it.  I
don't maliciously try to go after other people's "market." I don't have any
connections with Nissan, so I don't go for any of the still-available parts
like StockCuz or Schluderm do on ebay (and that's not a bad thing, either.
I've bought from both of them--sometimes it's much easier than dealing with
my local Nissan parts people).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Tim Waltz