Re: U-20 piston compression height

To: "'Datsun Roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, <jover4x4@aol.com>
Subject: Re: U-20 piston compression height
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:40:30 -0700
> Looking for stock U-20 piston compression height.  Does anyone know what
> this dimension is?  Searching for other OEM application pistons that may
> work in a U-20.

> John Over
> 68 2000

John,
Measuring as near as I can with digital calipers, I found both the U20 flat
top pistons and the domed R16 pistons to be almost exactly 41 mm compression
height.

If you found something a little taller it may be possible to shave some off
the top.

Not sure if anyone has tried it on a U20, BUT, if you were not going for
extreme power levels, you could probably use R16 rods and some VG30(?)
pistons or something similar.
 (Someone mentioned this to me for an R series stroker. For non-competition
use, I think it would work fine in a U20. It would also probably require
balancing because the rod/piston combo would be a fair amount lighter than
the stock U20 parts.)

I am far from being an expert though, so check with someone with more
experience before you dive in (maybe someone on the list? An engine
builder?) I know the parts will fit, just will they do what you want them to
do?????

Good luck,
Daryl
http://www.311s.org/registry/1966/spl311-01605.html