Re: OT: Non vehicle related. Solvang/group retirement

To: <Ldino21@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Non vehicle related. Solvang/group retirement
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 06:29:46 -0700
Lou,
Sorry to hear of your decision, but it is totally understandable
considering the amount of slander, bitterness, and back-stabbing being
publicly tossed about, of which I have probably only heard the tip of
the iceberg, and even that was much too much.   I saw a roadster on the
street yesterday, and realized that in the past I would have offered the
"list" resource to them as a positive community help-line. But having
read recent days postings, I would be embarrassed to have done that and
then associate myself to the childish tantrums to which they would be
exposed.  ("so you find this sort of thing helpful to your roadster
repairs?")
I expect more mutually respectful behavior of my children, (who really
enjoyed all of the Solvang activities, thanks to all) the oldest who is
less than 2.

The accomplishments of FresnoDROC in bringing the Solvang show into town
and more accurately "into the next age" are commendable, and other than
acting as emcee (which someone has to do) I have seen you be nothing
less than completely gracious as to all the help you had to pull off the
show each year.

The hosting group decided to acquire raffle prizes in a manner that was
different than in previous years.  How creative of them!  What business
is it of mine and why would I get the notion that A) they should have to
disclose this or B) that they should have to perform some sort of public
bidding challenge to various vendors.  (I can only imagine the fiasco
that would have turned into)

Would we all be better off if they took the proceeds from a previous
year and all went and got their toenails painted?  Or if future pancake
get-togethers were "on the house"?  They put out the effort, have helped
us all by giving our roadsters more public exposure, and have kept the
spouses' -or at least one- happier by having the show more centrally
located, so as far as I am concerned they can decide where the proceeds
go until I decide I can rally up enough support from brethren and
cistern to host it as a collective group.   (remember how we all used to
have to fill our trunks with ice chests so we didn't have to get
dehydrated out at Nobody-Goes-Here park?)

I can speak for no one else, but will miss your helpful input as a
result of your roadster efforts and learning, and would be surprised if
you are the only person to make the decision that you have based on
recent non-vehicle related drivel put forth on the list.   You have a
standing offer of assistance if you are in the SoCal area or parts
travel on my many trips northward.  (Geez, I hope that doesn't get an
"impinging on possible profit base" post from my local UPS man who is
lurking on the list!)
Hope your "retirement" is more of a "timely break from petty
proceedings".  (no offense to Herb.... petty isn't capitalized)
Fergus O, 69 2000 in hibernation (has nothing nice to say, so has been
taught to stay silent.... what a concept), HB, CA

PS: the list, for me, is a vehicle and parts knowledge resource.
Period.  I have to keep my personal opinions and negative comments to
myself, or seek out a "I have a gripe and need to disseminate it
world-wide" bulletin board.   By posting the preceeding message I have
crossed the line into personal opinion and non-vehicle related drivel,
which I do rarely, so I apologize and will retreat back into silence and
perform my penance before the roadster gods before they seek vengeance
on my 2L timing tensioners.