Re: Front wheel bearing question... and more!

To: hahlbohmd@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front wheel bearing question... and more!
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 19:54:58 EDT
In my experience the hinge is likely to be bent. Pull one off. If you have
flats and a lock washers then you definitely have a bent one. They should be
installed with a lock washer only. Take the hinge and put the bolts in with a
flat washer under each one. (this simulates a compressed lock washer) Close
the  hinge and the 8 bolts should be even head to head. If the bolts away from
the  pin touch and leave space between the ones near the pin then the hinge is
bent.  You should be able to look at it and see that one side has a bit of a
curve near  to the pin end. Heat till it starts to turn red then squeeze in a
vise to  straighten.
    In any case I'll drag down a hinge or two from the  attic and take a look
at the pins.

    Our door hinges just are not very strong. Leaning  on the door when it is
open is a bad idea.

keith

In a message dated 5/2/2005 4:33:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,