Re: Frozen Wheel!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frozen Wheel!
From: Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:16:13 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the tips on this, everyone...

It was indeed the calipers rusted to the rotors. I couldn't pull the pads back,
so I removed whatever that part is called that has the pistons with pads
connected to it and pried the whole section off. These brake things look pretty
simple, when you start to take them apart...

My other idea was to steal some cafeteria trays from McDonalds and place them
under the seized wheels. It would be no problem to tow my "sled" down the
street this way, I figure...

Matthew in Phoenix...

racerY@comcast.net wrote:
Actually,
many calipers are designed so that the seals will retract the pistons a slight
amount, then hold them close to the disc. The Dunlop design doesn't do this,
and thus the 'postie' thingus (and its mating clip in the piston)
The ubiquitous ATE and any other piston that uses a square section seal in a
tight groove work this way...