Electric Fans

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric Fans
From: RWM <RWM@rwmann.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:42:34 -0400
[This is just an electric fan report for the archives.]

During the winter I sourced a used, 14" diameter, 2.05" section
("thinline") SPAL 960 CFM puller fan, intent on replacing a used, 9"
SPAL 590 CFM thinline unit installed last winter and which represented a
first cut at an electric replacement for the stock, lash-up (no more
thermostatic coupling), 7-blade nylon fan.

The 2.05" section width on these fans is perfect.  Just fits (1/2"
clearance) between back of fan's pancake motor and the nose of the water
pump shaft.

Unfortunately, the 9" fan's airflow and cooling capacity didn't cut it.
Sufficient to prevent a temperature runaway, but insufficient to cycle
it back through a 190 degrees-on/170 degrees-off cycle via an electric
thermostat.  Sounded like a small gas turbine when running, too.   Less
takeoff thrust than the stock 7-blade prop, but more whine.

By contrast, the 14", which just fits inside the fan shroud, BTW, cycles
through the thermostat promptly, is quieter, and seems to be a keeper.

I do have the 9" SPAL thinline fan available, if anyone has a need for it.

- Bob Mann,  '68 2000 Solex