RE: ball joints revisited

To: "'Ronnie Day'" <rday@hot.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: ball joints revisited
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:39:05 -0600
 Hey Ron - Good to hear from you!

Actually this is a dose of what I do at work everyday.  Lead Independent
Investigations of issues with the Shuttle. And no babes on my teams....:(

I agree.  Years ago I did a search for ball joints that would fit the
spindle that I could adapt to the a-arms.  Not much luck.  Due to the bolt
pattern on the Roadster joints, it would be easy to build adapter plates -
if we could find the right spindle taper.  Someone - sorry.... memory....
failing - said older VW joints were close.

---

> rice rocket

> You are now in charge of the new Datsun Roadster Ball Joint
> Independent Technical Research Team (DRBJITR)
>
> We need:
> 1.  Complete background of the history of Volvo 122 use of this joint.
> 2.  Other vehicles (and their histories) that may have used similar
> parts to include all brake components.
> 3.  Procure any brake components that may be close to a match to the
> Datsun Roadster for materials testing, FEA analysis, and fitment
> differences to include full drawings.
> 4.  If components can be modified for use on the Datsun Roadster, a
> full study of the machine work to be performed on the component,
> available vendors for part procurement, cost of machine work and
> vendors to perform this work, and a full cost analysis to complete this
work.
> 5.  Full write-up on the findings with a debriefing to the Roadster
> community by April 1, 2005.
>
> This is your assignment.  It is of national Roadster importance.  This
> massage will self destruct in one hit of the delete button....

Ah..., Phil,

Been watchin' Alias a little too often lately (Jennifer Garner is a MAJOR
babe) or did you transfer to the DIA, CIA or some other black ops group?
;>)

Seriously it would be great if we could come up with currently available
alternatives for these sorts of parts without having to resort to (usually
expensive) fabrication. Is there any way we could modify the ball joint
mounting points, maybe with adapter plates or something, to allow using a
current/off-the-shelf part? Trying to see if we might attack the issue from
a different direction.

FWIW,
Ron