Re: jet hot coatings??

To: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>,
Subject: Re: jet hot coatings??
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:12:38 -0500
Daniel,
Timely question - I just got the headers I built for the "R" back from
having them ceramic coated.  The place I had mine done, Performance Coatings
in Canton, OH is an approved applicator of Cermachrome.  Iits rated to
withstand 1300deg., and is supposed to have a significant drop in radiated
heat.  Cost me $190 to have two 3-1 headers for the V6, and two S-bend
exhaust tips about 12" long coated.  I think most metro areas have at least
one powder-coater who is set up to do the ceramics.  Multi-stage process for
used headers:
bake to remove grease, oil, carbon
sandblast
vibratory polish
coat inside and out and bake
vibratory finish in ceramic beads to final polish.
Shop I was at had two pieces of 2" exhaust pipe, severely dented, as a
demostration tool.  Guy takes the two and smacks them together HARD, adding
another dent, but no chips or cracks.  I was impressed.  My headers came out
beautiful!
Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH