GM alternator conversion comments (was "RE: alternator")

To: "'Datsun Roadsters list'" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: GM alternator conversion comments (was "RE: alternator")
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:06:01 -0800
Richard,

I'm kinda in the same boat only for a different reason: some PO
mickey-moused an alternator & regulator from another car into my '66 1600.
Not only do I need to replace the alternator and regulator, it appears there
is a piece of the wiring harness missing on my car (not really indicated on
the wiring diagram, but from Sid's sharp observations), which makes a simple
remove & replace of the alternator not an option for me.

Rather than fight this nonsense any longer, it appears to be time and
cost-effective for me to go w/ the GM alternator swap since it's so well
documented and the many "I-cannot-believe-how-easy-it-was" testimonials.

That said, if your voltage regulator is good, the wiring harness intact, and
you don't need the extra amperage output the GM alternator provides over the
stock Mitsubishi alternator, your easiest option is to just remove and
replace the alternator.

My two cents....

                        `  ___  '
Pete                   -  (O o)  -