Re: Windshield Washer

To: Graeme Suckling <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Subject: Re: Windshield Washer
From: Gary Boone <gaboone70@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:10:16 -0700
I pulled my dash last winter on my '70 2000 and while it was out, I
tried to find out why my wipers ran so slow.  I took the motor out and
took it to reputable auto electric shop.  They tested it on the bench
and it produced the correct speed and torque. I disassembled and checked
the pivots of the wiper mechanism under the dash and they were in very
good condition and moved without resistance.  I found that the most
resistance to rotation was where the shafts pass through the mounts on
the body.  I soaked them in penetrating oil and they freed up very
well.  It helped the wiper speed to some degree but not what I'd hoped
for.  I think it's possible to get the most benefit for a typical wiper
speed problem by just removing the wiper arms and soaking the mounts
with penetrating oil from the outside of the body.  It's worth a try and
easy to do.   The pivots under the dash seemed they would be very
unlikely to be the problem from what I found and are impossible to
remove and clean/relube without pulling the dash, which is a  major
chore.  I think the roadster wiper speeds are by nature, 2 speed, Off
and Slow.  Rain X on the glass helps a bit too.
Gary