Re: RE:Starter problem Update..ARGHH

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: RE:Starter problem Update..ARGHH
From: "Kim Blough" <Smokyyaro@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:44:13 -0700
Subject: RE:Starter problem Update..ARGHH

Ed wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> It's been quite a day. Thank you all for the replies. The Battery was
definetly low and shot for that matter so I went and got a new battery as
well as replaced the battery cables and starter ground with all new stuff.
The battery seems to be working fine, but still not turning over the car.
all I get is a fast clickity, clickity clickity.

> I put my multi-meter on it just to check it out and it's showing about
12.25 across the battery terminals and drops to about 5 when the ignition
engages. Are there maybe some other electrical issues that would keep the
starter from at least spinning up?

Hi Ed,

    If your multimeter is correct, your new battery is approximately 75%
discharged (a fully charged 12 volt battery should have a minimum of 12.56
volts).

    You may want to recharge the battery and retest
the voltage and cranking test.

    The rapid clicking you heard may have caused by a failure of the
solenoid "hold-in" windings to properly energize.

    Starter solenoids have two types of windings inside of them: these are
"pull in" and "hold-in" windings.

    The "pull-in windings ground through the actual brushes of the starter,
while the "hold-in" windings ground to the case of the solenoid itself.

    Any resistance at the brushes (dirty or worn brushes) can cause the
solenoid to require excessive amperage at peak battery voltage to overcome
the resistance to ground.

    Disassembly of the starter and subsequent cleaning (sanding the starter
commutator surface with true sand paper, never use carbide based abrasives
for this job) can cure a solenoid actuation problem.

    Kim Blough
Idaho Z Car
2913 Garrity Blvd.
Nampa, Idaho 83687-2629