RE: U20 Tuning without a dyno?

To: "'Jim Williams'" <jamesd_williams@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: U20 Tuning without a dyno?
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:40:37 -0700
You know the most recent GRM mag had a good article on wide band oxygen
sensors.  If I ever get my car running again I am planning on installing
one.
The wide band lets you see the AFR over an entire large range.  The narrow
band are basically switches that go from rich-perfect-lean.
        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland Ca

$
$I have been reading about the Rocky Mountain group who
$got access to a Dyno to tune their U20 cars... I now I
$have a case of "Dyno envy".
$
$My question to the list is " how do those of us
$without a dyno, tune our cars for best performance?
$
$I have my 68 running very good, and it is set up by
$the "book" as far as timing and SU tuning...header,
$smog removed, etc.
$
$What steps did you all take to get that extra 5 HP,
$and can we do it without a Dyno?
$
$What plug gap gave the best performance for the
$electronic ignition? What needles? What timing advance
$did you find best? What differences caused one car to
$run 100HP and  others to run 117HP.
$Were there mechanical differences such as an
$electronic fan instead of the belt driven fan?
$
$I know that the Rocky Mountain group  dyno'ed at 5000
$plus feet and that other elevations, fuels, etc. will
$require different settings, but I need some tips on
$where I should start.  Let's hear from the experts on
$the list where they actually run their timing... and
$how they tune their carbs for most power...
$
$Jim Williams
$68 2000 Scottsdale, AZ
$