Lug nut failure

To: "Roadster List \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lug nut failure
From: "Philip Erickson" <perickson@quorex.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:33:53 -0700
You got it correct.
This is a known problem with all cars and after-market wheels.  The stud is
suppose to thread into the NUT portion.  This reduces all the forces on the nut
to compression acting through washer onto wheel flange.  What you had is
tension between shank and head of the lug nut.  This is the weakest part of the
lug nut and it broke.  Lucky it didn't happen in a high speed corner.
  Its not very hard to replace the studs.  I believe there is a corvair stud
that is a direct replacement, but longer.  I use a "C" clamp, socket and
hammer.  Put the socket or piece of pipe over the inside head of the stud and
clamp the stud/nut and pipe with the clamp.  Smack the clamp with the hammer to
add additional force and the stud should start to push into the pipe.  Sometime
I do two at a time (opposing stud on the same wheel), then install the new ones
part-way.  I then re-install the wheel to draw studs into place.  Hope this
helps.  Check that the stud doesn't bottom inside the nut.
Phil

Philip Erickson
FJ20 SPL311