RE: Horn doesn't go BEEP!

To: "'Hendrickson Family'" <gets42@stargate.net>,
Subject: RE: Horn doesn't go BEEP!
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:51:40 +0930
First up Brad, disconnect the horn(s).
Put a fresh 20A fuse in and operate the horn button.
The horn button earths out a wire at the steering wheel hub which operates
the horn relay.
All that should happen here is that the horn relay should operate with an
audible "click".
Fuse should not rupture.
If the fuse does rupture, the relay is probably faulty, try unplugging it
and repeating the horn button test.
Connect a 12V globe to each of the horn connectors in turn, with the other
side of the globe earthed, and it should glow when the horn button is
pressed.
Re-connect each horn one at a time and check if either causes the fuse to
rupture.
One or both horns may be shorting out, but the above testing should give you
some confidence in the entire circuitry.
Some horns can be dissembled and/or adjusted for volume.
Try it if you want, there is only a set of contact points in there to go
wrong!
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner.
1972 PL510 2 door - VG30ET on Autogas.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2004 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

All,

I seem to be having a problem with the horn circuit on my '70 1600.  Last
year the fuse blew a couple of times. now I can't put in a new one without
it blowing.  I'm assuming I have a dead short somewhere.   Does anyone have
an idea where I should start looking or other advice?

---