OT: drafting distance, redefined

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT: drafting distance, redefined
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 06:13:59 -0700
<<...some of the more extreme mileage increasing methods....draft 200' behind a
semi going 62MPH>>
Ahh, shades of my younger (aka: stupid) days.   The 200' number is a bit high.
With my 65 VW with a whopping 40hp 1200cc, I found the correct number for
semi-drafting was more like 4-5 feet, not 200.  Used to do this between
Sac-a-tomato and Stockton on a regular basis, which the truckers really don't
appreciate.  Once they learned I was back there they would 'peel' me off by
changing lanes where I couldn't follow.  Thank god I wised up before I had to
pay for that mindless folly.  Once you got ~10 feet out, their turbulence would
catch the BACK of the VW, and suck ya up close.
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA