Parts book (was: Parts Needed)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Parts book (was: Parts Needed)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:52:20 -0700
> the second key to roadster survival is getting a copy of the factory parts
> catalogue (help.... I know they are posted out there in PDF form somewhere...
> anyone w/ the link?)

One site is http://webpages.csus.edu/~sandhoff/fiche

This is a scan originally done by Leigh Brooks. Four caveats:
1) The numbers aren't very clear, so you may have a tough time
reading them.
2) Even when they're clear, the numbers aren't always correct.
3) This is one of several versions, all different, and all wrong to
varying degrees. Many numbers aren't correct, or are no longer
in the system, or have been superseded.
4) The printed copy that was in circulation a while back is much
clearer. Not a copy of these pages, but sourced from a real book.

Our vendors can be very helpful. You may also want to ask around
at your dealer and find out if they have an old pro that is familiar
with these cars - most parts guys won't touch 'em but there still
are a few that remember the cars and want to help (luckily for me
I have such a guy here in town!). The 311 parts book is computerized
so the dealer does have access to it. Again, it oftentimes has the
wrong index numbers, but if they let you peruse the pictures and
parts lists you can usually figure out what you need to know.

But you'll still occasionally get the wrong part. Just consider it as
part of the hunt :-)

Once you have a number, the dealer needs to do an 'inquiry' to
find out if the part still exists, and where in the country it might be.

-- John