Spark Plug Evaluation and Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Spark Plug Evaluation and Question
From: "James Cawrse" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:46:47 -0400
Dear List:
This goes hand in hand with my previous post about plug wires.  Of course,
since I broke a
spark plug, I needed a new set.  Bucking the trend for NGK plugs, my car has
been
running well for some time with a set of Champion RN9YC plugs, dont remember
how
I arrived at this set being good for a roadster, but it ran great with them
for some time.
They are very dark gray, almost black, so the heat range is OK, maybe even
one step too
cold.

My local auto parts store had a listing for a 67 Nissan 1600!  So, the
Champions he came back
with were not the same though??!!  They are RN12YC.  These plugs have an
extended tip, compared to the previous set.
Well anyway, I put them in.  The car seems to run fine, in fact it seems to
start much quicker, with no choke when cold.
Apparantly the pistons dont hit the extended tip either, because the car is
running fine......

My question to the list is:  Can someone out there tell me how these are
different than the
old RN9YC set?  If the heat range is significantly hotter, I could be in
trouble with
pre-ignition once I start driving the car fast again.

Thanks for any advice!
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia

Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in
Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx