interior restoration

To: "Datsun roadster list " <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: interior restoration
From: "J Sylvester" <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 07:42:55 -0500
I'm embarking on a restoration of my interior and wonder if anyone who's
done it has any words of advice.  A few things I'm thinking of for anyone
with an opinion to comment...

I'll order the carpet tomorrow from Dean (red loop) so I've got that covered

Thoughts on POR-15 for prepping the interior?  Their website says to use
silver to "add metal"

Any thoughts on a heat barrier under on top of the Por under the carpet (I
restored a Tiger once and used some 3M stuff that worked well as a sound
deadener as well as a heat reducer..but that was a long time ago)

Any one ever used any vinyl dye?  My seats and panels are in good shape but
faded.  Does the stuff work or am I wasting my time?

Metal on the console, etc.paint or plate?  If anyone has plated, what cost
should I expect?  I've tried to paint it and it comes off looking a little
amateurish

Metal on the console.same question..powder coat?  How about the silver
border?

Knobs.very faded.  Same question with the vinyl dye.  Is there any material
that coats the plastic that doesn't look cheap?

Interior aluminum..I've tried metal polish.doesn't really work well.  Mine
have the normal scratches and small dings and dents.  Anyone ever tried to
plate these?

Door rubber, etc.anyone have a thought on prices?

Generally, I would appreciate your thoughts if you've got some experience
restoring interiors.  I don't know about you guys, but everything I'm
finished doing something for the first time, I always reflect on it
thinking."boy, if I ever do this again, I know what I would do
differently..."