Is there something wrong with my car?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Is there something wrong with my car?
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:56:13 +0000
To List,

I have been on the List for about 2 years, mostly just listening but also
contributing my moronic questions as I rebuilt my car (mechanicals all done,
body and paint are next, perhaps in a few years).  I've got a 1970 2000 that
I purchased as my first car (from a Nissan dealer no less) back in 1983 when
I was in high school.  Other than usual mechanical stuff (clutch and brakes
needed rebuilding), I've also rebuilt engine, transmission, pretty much
everything mechanically in the last two years.

As I've been reading the List, I note that a lot of people have had
breakdowns (the cars, not them!), and just bad stuff happen when driving
their car.  That makes me curious.  Is there something wrong with my car?
Because other than usual maintenance stuff, I've NEVER had a problem with my
car.  NEVER.  No weird electrical stuff, that all works as it's supposed to
and always has.  No brakes going out or leaking.  No axle snapping.  No
tranny grinding.  Nothing.  I've not had one breakdown.  It is the most
reliable car I've ever driven (my current Audi runs a close second).  I
don't maintain my car real well, mostly just put gas in it and change oil.

When I was doing my rebuild these last two years, I pulled out the gas tank.
  I had never looked in there before and I assume the prior owner hadn't
either.  It was all clean and shiny in there, after sitting for 5 years
without driving.  When I was having the engine rebuilt, the shop said the
head was good and that the block looked great, didn't even need boring, just
a cleaning hone (pistons and rings are still standard size, as is the head,
I believe).

The car had 79,000 on it when I bought it and it has just over 100,000 on it
now (it sat for about 10 years while I was in college).

So, what's going on with my car?  Why isn't/hadn't it breaking/broke down?
I do realize I've just cursed myself, but was just curious.

Allen
1970 2000
Wenatchee, WA

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
$1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp