RE: roadster good looks

To: "'mike'" <twobeaners@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: roadster good looks
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:11:13 -0500
I agree - wire wheels do look natural on cars like the Roadster from the
60-70's.  Sometimes they catch me off guard because the Roadster never came
with them - like the MG's.  I also like the alloy wheels from that era, i.e.
Empi's.  Years ago, I could by Western Superlites for 50 bucks each and they
looked real close to Panasports.  Man, I wish they still made those!  New
wheels made today to look good on new cars and "ricers" just done look the
part on a Roadster.  A lot of it has to do with the offset - they just don't
make many zero offest wheels today.

One more very important point - My most lovely wife put Road Atlanta on her
calender!!  If it makes it there I am 80% over the permission curve.  Lord
knows I need a "get away".  These 10 to 16 hour days are getting old.  Wish
we would hurry and fly the Shuttle!

You all have a great day!!  Keep the Roadsters between the lines and under
100..thumbs up and high five the crowd...

Phil
SEROC

On the subject of roadster cosmetics, ideas have been shared regarding
bumper over-riders, fog lights and other "custom" touches. Although I love
my roadster, at the risk of diminishing my stature and respect as an
enthusiast, I have to say I've never regarded the Datsun Roadster as one of
the "prettiest gals in town." But true beauty really is skin deep. I bought
my 67-1600 24 years ago not because of it's looks, but because it was a
"real gas" when I took it for a spin before buying. Now, after discovering
how the internet can enhance my joy of ownership of this car with not only
technical aspects of repair and maintenance, but photos of how really great
this car can look. Now, to my point. Why does it seem rare to see "wire"
wheels or " baskets" on this car? When I bought my roadster in 1980, I was
on a budget, as we all are at times. I had found a good deal at my local
Western Auto for a 4-wheel set of chromed wheels with the wire basket
inserts for $100! One of the things that have always appealed to me about
the "traditional" sports car has been wire wheels. Maybe it's just me, but I
think they look pretty "naturally cool" on the roadster. Maybe they look to
MG like, if so, I can understand why someone might opt for the more
expensive alloy, performance style wheel. When I was young I never had the
option of spending a grand just for pretty wheels, (to much re-chroming of
the other parts to do). Now, with more financial wiggle room, I still can't
justify upgrading to the fancier wheel. I am willing to try if the general
consensus of the group is that the wires look cheap, MG-like or just plain
bad. Any comments? Mike H.  67-1600