Re: Dashpot oil (was: quick question)

To: jsk977@optonline.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil (was: quick question)
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:48:27 EST
Hello all,

       A certain amount of head scratching is involved here. The slides rise
has two effects. It makes the space between the needle and the nozzle larger
(more fuel) and slows down the air flow (less signal or air flow over the
nozzle thus less fuel). As it turns out the air flow over the nozzle is the
bigger
player. So, slowing the piston rise causing it to be in a lower than
equilibrium position will enrich the mixture. When tuning the carbs you can
raise the
slides to lean the mixture and push it down to richen it. One of the racing
tricks with SUs is to use no oil, a light or no spring and a really rich
needle.
It makes the throttle response quicker at the sacrifice of normal drivability.
Roadsters seem to have no problem running fairly rich but hate being too
lean.

keith